cPanel - Email - BoxTrapper
This feature will filter spam from your inbox through challenge response verification. When an email account receives an email, BoxTrapper will automatically send a verification email in response. The sender will need to complete the verification process. If the sender does not verify the email, the message fails and will be deleted.
To enable BoxTrapper, perform the following steps:
- • Click Manage for the specific account
- • Click Enable
When you enable the BoxTrapper feature, it will whitelist any email address to which you send an email to.
To edit the BoxTrapper settings, click Manage next to the email account. The configuration interface will show.
To set up BoxTrapper following the below steps:
- • Click Configure Settings
- • Enter a comma-separated list of email addresses that forward email to
- • Enter your name
- • Enter the number of days for which you wish to keep logs and messages
- • Enter the desired minimum spam score
- • Whitelisting checkbox. When you enable whitelisting, BoxTrapper whitelists any addresses to which you send email
- • Select the Automatically whitelist the To and From lines from whitelisted senders (whitelist by association) checkbox to automatically whitelist addresses
- • Click Save
SpamAssassin will analyze emails and give it a spam score. Emails with higher scores are more likely to be spam. Emails with negative scores are typically not spam. SpamAssassin uses a variety of techniques and tests to determine spam including, Bayesian filtering , blocklists, DNS (Domain Name System), and online databases. For more information on SpamAssassin tests, read the SpamAssassin documentation.
Edit The Confirmation Messages
BoxTrapper can automatically responds to emails with messages that the system builds from the following templates:
- • verify ━ BoxTrapper responds with this message when an address that does not exist on the whitelist or blacklist sends an email. This message requests a response to confirm that the sender is legitimate
- • verify released ━ BoxTrapper responds with this message when a person responds to the verify message with an email or a click on the verification link
- • returnverify ━ BoxTrapper responds with this message when the verification process fails
- • blacklist ━ BoxTrapper responds with this message when a blacklisted address sends an email
Click Edit to customize the verification and blacklist message templates.
These templates use the following variables:
%email% ━ The sender’s email address
%fromname% ━ The recipient’s name
%subject% ━ The subject of the sender’s email
%acct% ━ The recipient’s username
%msgid% ━ The message ID of the sender’s email
%headers% ━ The heading information of the sender’s email
%if can_verify_web% and
%endif% ━ These tags enclose a section that allows BoxTrapper to verify senders through a web link
Do not alter the
verify#%msgid% in the subject line of the verify message template. BoxTrapper requires that specific code to function properly.
To restore the default message templates, click Reset to Default.
Edit whitelists, blacklists, and ignore lists
To edit lists, perform the following steps:
- • Click Edit White/Black/Ignore lists
- • Select the list that you want to modify
- • Enter any messages, subjects, or email addresses for which you wish to filter
- • Click Save
The system compares every new message that you receive against the following three lists:
- • Whitelist ━ The system delivers messages directly to your inbox
- • Ignore list ━ The system deletes messages without a notification
- • Blacklist ━ The system deletes messages, and the sender receives a reply that indicates that the system blocked the message
Click Forward List to update the account’s forward list. Enter email addresses that you wish to add to the forward list, and click Save. The system will automatically forward whitelisted emails to these addresses.
The system organizes this log by day, and displays any activity for an email address that uses BoxTrapper.
Click Review Queue to view any unverified BoxTrapper mail.
To deliver or delete emails, perform the following steps:
- • Select the checkbox for the desired day
- • Select Delete or Whitelist and Deliver
- • Click Submit
To see the contents of a message, perform the following steps:
- • Click the email’s sender, subject, or date to see the entire message, headers, and more delivery options. For example, you can ignore or blacklist a sender
- • Select the option for which you wish to filter
- • Click Go
Related cPanel Tutorials and How To Guides
A huge volume of features and customization that is available with cPanel
Tweet Share Pin Email
We welcome your comments, questions, corrections and additional information relating to this article. Please be aware that off-topic comments will be deleted.
If you need specific help with your account, feel free to contact us